With secessionist sentiment running high throughout South
Carolina, many men joined militia units to prepare for the
coming of war. Maxcy Gregg, a secessionist and prominent
lawyer from Columbia was commissioned Colonel by Gov.
Pickens to raise a regiment of troops. These soldiers were
signed into service for a period of six months as many
thought the war wouldn't last that long. He had no trouble
filling his ranks of men from all parts of the state.
Along with Gregg, A. H. Gladden , was named Lt. Col. , he
had led the Palmetto Regiment during the Mexican
War. Daniel H. Hamilton, formerly a United States
Marshal for the District of South Carolina was appointed
From February 1861 through the firing upon Ft. Sumter in
April, the companies were dispersed around Charleston.
Some even coming under artillery fire from the fort. In
May of that year the regiment was placed into Confederate
States service and moved to Richmond, Va. Only in Richmond
for a brief time, the regiment was moved first to Manassas
Junction and then on to Fairfax Court House. On the 2nd
and 3rd of July, the regiment was taken back to Richmond
and disbanded as their 6 month enlistments were up. The
regiment went back to South Carolina and reorganized. Lt.
Col. Gladden resigned his commission and Maj. Hamilton was
promoted in his place. Col. Gregg led 11 companies back to
Virginia by Sept. 1, 1861.